Thursday, July 17, 2008

Respect

So...I'm sitting at Cosi Bar in Ballston using their free WiFi connection for work. I like working here since there isn't much noise except during the morning coffee and lunch rush. I usually grab a bagel and coffee (about $3.50) while I'm "working", as a courtesy for using the Wifi connection...plus I think Cosi would kick me out if they noticed me a few times a week without any Cosi products. Anyway, I'm sitting here with my laptop, cup of coffee, used napkins and foil wrappers from my already eaten whole grain bagel w/veggie cream cheese and I notice one of the Cosi workers who happens to be Filipino attempting to clean my table. The Filipino man looks old enough to be my uncle. For some reason I felt the need to stop him and stand up to take my own trash to the bin. I mean I don't mind being waited on, but when I see an elder Filipino person cleaning up after me, I just doesn't sit well. I proceed to pick up my own trash and he stops me, smiles and grabs the trash from my hands and says something in Tagalog with a smile. Of course my non-speaking understanding Tagalog ass has no idea what to say...except Salamat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't forget to say "po" after salamat... ahaha! i feel the same way when that happens.